Instructions

GFC is gone – now what

I have full page of post themes that I really should do, but I never take time to actually sit down and write them. :blush: So I went through it and decided to do the one that is maybe the most current – GFC “problem”.

For the first year we didn’t even have GFC on Parokeets blog. Then our readers started asking us if there is any way to implement GFC widget on our site. What exactly is GFC? We looked it up and saw that main feature of GFC is that is serves as RSS reader for Blogger/Blogspot bloggers. But as the feature was also available to non-Blogger blogs, we added it to our blog.

GFC followers on Parokeets blog

GFC followers on Parokeets blog

Last year Google decided to stop offering GFC for non-Blogger blogs as of March 2012. Not really nice of them, but I must admit I wasn’t really surprised. They were slowly cutting support for one GFC thing after another so webmasters saw it coming. And as it’s entirely possible that it will in time disappear from Blogger blogs also, I received a lot of questions about alternative ways to follow blogs (I use RSS for news also). I’ll try to be short and avoid technical babbling. :silly:

1) Bloglovin and NetworkedBlogs

Bloglovin and NetworkedBlogs are also primarily RSS readers but they come with their unique style, options … Both of the services are easy to navigate, you can find similar blogs …

Bloglovin’ allows you to group blogs that you follow and that is very useful feature for those of us that follow a lot of blogs. You can choose to receive email updates … Shows you unread blog posts which you can group either by date or blog …

Parokeets blog RSS - Bloglovin

Parokeets blog RSS – Bloglovin

NetworkedBlogs is Facebook application where you can follow blogs that use the app to publish their feed. Downside is that you can follow only 250 blogs.

2) Facebook, Twitter, Google+

Not really the same thing, but you can still follow new posts if bloggers either have automatic posting system about new blog posts or they post them themselves. Our Facebook and Twitter page have automatic updates, while Google+ still does not have that option available so we add each post link manually. All three networks keep you updated with other things besides feed – photos, news, what is coming up …

Facebook and Twitter are pretty known so I’ll only explain how our Google+ works.

Parokeets blog RSS - Google plus

Parokeets blog RSS – Google plus

In the widget on the right side of our blog you can click +1 button which in essence says to Google and your friends – I like this page. You don’t need G+ profile to do that, but you do have to have Google profile set to public (something like that – it leads you how to do that if you do not have the option turned on). As far as I can see, only your friends can see which pages you “plusoned”.

Now if you want to follow our Google+ page (very similar to Facebook page), you have to have G+ profile. You go over Add to circles with you mouse and pick which circle you want us in (Follow or if you created circle for Blogs …).

3) RSS readers like Google Reader (RETIRED! as of 1st of July 2013), My Yahoo!, Bloglines, Feedburner …

I never used Blogger, so I don’t know where you read your RSS feed, but I do know that feed is also published in your Google Reader (Subscriptions – Blogs I’m following). I never mastered that reader as I find it confusing with the amount of blogs that I follow. I use iGoogle (Google homepage – also retiring in 2013!) instead and sort all the blogs in categories: Slovenian blogs, makeup blogs …

How to add blog to RSS readers? Just click on RSS button. It’s usually orange, but not necessarily so. On our blog, RSS buttons are located in upper right corner. We have separate feed for English language and Slovenian language.

Parokeets blog RSS reader button

Parokeets blog RSS reader button

Depending which browser you use you’ll see different options for Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera …

Here is how you add RSS feed in Firefox:

Parokeets blog RSS - Firefox

Parokeets blog RSS – Firefox

Chrome users will first have to install (it’s super fast) RSS add-on as Google doesn’t have built in RSS reader … I better leave that can of worms closed, as I could go on and on about the subject. :silly:

Parokeets blog RSS - Chrome

Parokeets blog RSS – Chrome

You can also use Feedburner to read the feed. These are the options you have when you open Parokeets Feedburner page (among them is receiving email once a day if there is new post):

Parokeets blog RSS - Feedburner

Parokeets blog RSS – Feedburner

I just knew this would turn into a novel. :biggrin: Now you met options I like to use to follow blogs, news … And at the same time, services you can use to follow our blog.

Which provider do you use for following blogs? What are you feelings about GFC shutdown?

email: gejba@parokeets.com; Starševski klepet

1. Akuma Kanji

January 24, 2012 at 02:13

I read all your post and I didn’t understand a thing! :( I just want to know if I’m still a follower of Parokeets. Am I? Do you still “see” me as a follower, somewhere?

January 24, 2012 at 09:34

I don’t know what will happen in March, but until then, everything works as it did until now.
      If you are following us with GFC, you’ll probably have to switch to one of the services I mentioned above. :sigh:
      And that goes for pretty much all the blogs you’re following that are not on blogspot.com.

If you need help, contact me at gejba(at)parokeets.com (I can’t check subscriptions with majority of applications).

2. Stavroula @drugstoreandbargainlover

January 22, 2012 at 22:51

I personally don’t like Google+, I find it complicated, so I don’t think I’m gonna use it. My blog is on blogger (I’ve purchased my own domain), yet my blogger dashboard has been broken for the last 2 months or so.. I see no updates and it also says I follow no blogs, although I obviously do.. I’ve also been having a problem with GFC in the last 4-5 days too, I can’t follow any new blogs, I get an error message…

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I’m following most blogs from my blogroll, I just add them there :) I used to use bloglovin’, maybe I should get back to it! x

January 24, 2012 at 09:38

I must admit I like G+. :sorry: And if they changed their “real name” policy I would open “Gejba” profile too.

Did you check their help forums? Googlers are slow to answer but others with similar problems are known to be quite helpful.

3. Lendoxia

January 22, 2012 at 00:57

ma ja vec dosta dugo koristim bloglovin i to mi je najdraza metoda pracenja tako da mi se s ovim ukidanjem zapravo i nece nista promijenit

4. Natalie

January 22, 2012 at 00:23

I mostly use Bloglovin, I like that I can have groups. But it sometimes has problems. So I also use facebook to make sure I won’t miss a post :wub:

January 24, 2012 at 09:41

I use all of the services mention above (I follow to many blogs for one or 2 to handle :sorry: ) and Bloglovin’ is becoming one of my favorite ones. :yes:

5. FashionFreak

January 21, 2012 at 23:30

ohh come on! -.- :S

6. nail crazy

January 21, 2012 at 21:01

ja sam tuuuuužna i umrijet ću od tuge :drop:
    meni je gfc bio najjednostaniji i najbezbolinij način za praćenje blogova i svih ostalih stvari koje me zanimaju… ni jedna druga alternativa mi nije ugodna kao gfc :nono: ali pretpostavljam da ću se morati pomiriti s tim i gotovo :zip:

January 24, 2012 at 09:45

Klik i gotovo? :silly: Sad će biti malo teže pratiti sve koji nisu na blogspotu. Ali to im je vjerojatno i bio jedan od ciljeva. :devil:

7. zebra-nails

January 21, 2012 at 19:24

Thank you for this post. I had read that from blogspot blogs GFC will not disappear, so owners of blogspot blogs shouldn’t be worry about it.

January 21, 2012 at 19:39

It’s true that it won’t disappear in March. :yes:
      But GFC newsletters are no longer supported for anybody (and the feature does not work correctly anymore) + the last time I checked GFC was still in beta stage so they never released it as fully functional software.
      If I were to speculate, I would say that they’ll try to “convert” Blogger followers into something else … G+ maybe?

8. Biberlee

January 21, 2012 at 18:44

I used GFC only for the purpose of giveaways. I follow yours (and many other) blogs on Bloglovin and so far I am very satisfied. I think Google’s trying to make us use Google+ by removing GFC option for non-Blogger blogs.

January 21, 2012 at 19:31

I too like Bloglovin a lot. :yes: In the end, majority won’t end up on G+, so I’m not sure their goal was achieved. :devil:

9. Binara

January 21, 2012 at 18:26

I didn´t know that GFC is going to stop supporting other blogs. That´s stupid. :angry:

January 21, 2012 at 19:29

Jope – now we need WordPress to come up with their RSS. :w00t:

• Binara

January 21, 2012 at 19:34

I just added Bloglovin´ because of your post :thumb:

January 21, 2012 at 19:45

Let me know how you like it. :ashout:

• Binara

February 29, 2012 at 13:18

I do like it. I imported all my GFC blogs and now I am grouping them. I just arrived at the letter “c” :whistle:

10. bettynova

January 21, 2012 at 18:16

Google sux!!! They are cutting GFC because noone uses Google+ as its so stupid. Now Google forcing!!!!! users to use Google+
    :angry:

January 21, 2012 at 19:29

That is probably one of the reasons, but if they really wanted to make huge impact, they would have shut down GFC for all the users. I guess we’re just not bringing enough money. :silly:

• Atqa

January 21, 2012 at 23:06

I suppose they are going to shut down GFC sooner or later for everyone, including Blogger blogs. Google + is not a good product so now they’re trying to force everybody to use it no matter what :devil: . The problem is GFC is/was a unique and popular product designed especially for blogs and I don’t think there’s anything to replace it. Generally, it seems like Google doesn’t understand many things about blogs, the need of remain more or less anonymous for instance (in Blogger they suggest now replacing Blogger profile with the Google + public profile which reveals the name of blog author).

I think that sort policy won’t do Google any good.